Spend the penny now to save the dime later: managing instructor time and student expectation


I use at least an hour of class-time when I assign an assignment; not only do I follow Bean’s suggestion that “when you distribute the assignment in class, also include your grading rubric and allow plenty of time for questions” (Bean, Engaging Ideas 2011, 77), but I also provide sample student papers.  

The activity usually goes as follows:
  1. Present the assignment amidst moans and groans of student annoyance (all the while, I smile as I know now, it’s time for them to work!)
  2. We go over the prompt and the expectations; I field questions, but a lot of time, the students (being novices at the whole college thing) don’t know what they don’t know.  
  3. I present a sample paper (usually a high B) on the board and present it as such.
  4. We discuss the paper in terms of the assignment prompt and rubric.  
  5. I explain, in depth… many times to the point of needing water, why and where the rubric grade was derived.
  6. Then, I split the class into groups with a different sample paper each which the group must grade with explanation for each rubric section.
  7. I rotate around the room, listening, mediating disputes, clarifying, etc.
  8. At the end, I give time for more questions, concerns, or issues.  Sometimes, there are many; sometimes, they are reserved for my inbox at midnight the night of the paper’s due date.  

Usually, spending the class-time in examining and talking about the assignment cuts down on “it’s in the syllabus” questions later, generates more insightful and interesting papers, and overall produces more confident writers(not necessarily better, but definitely less crises to handle) .


*Oh, yeah! I almost forgot- this also cuts down on grade disputes and uncomfortable conferences during the assignments’ process which helps with my own anxiety and the class’s student attendance rates.  They actually show up for conference days!

Comments

Popular Posts